Nursing Care Referent (m/f/x)
Voor deze functie is een goede kennis van het Engels vereist. De functiebeschrijving wordt daarom enkel in het Engels gepubliceerd.
Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is an international humanitarian aid organization that provides assistance in more than 60 countries to populations in distress, to victims of natural or manmade disasters and to victims of armed conflicts, without discrimination and irrespective of origin, religion, creed or political affiliation. To develop this work, the MSF Medical Department is looking for a: Nursing Care Referent (m/f/x)
Nurses in MSF represents around half of the health care workforce, they have an essential role in providing person-centred care and nursing care is a key transversal component of all medical projects.
Following the operational trends that include bigger hospitals with increased number of beds, volume of activities, complexity of care and a higher level of technicality, OCB wants to ensure adequate, sustained, effective, and good quality nursing care.
The Nursing Care Referent will provide technical support to nurses and nursing care activities in the field, will assure strategical and technical support to operations during project design and will assure the development of a global nursing leadership strategy within MSF OCB.
In order to ensure adequate, sustained, effective, and good quality nursing care, the Nursing Care Referent will:
1. Lead the improvement of quality of nursing care in collaboration with the other relevant referents.
- Identify, create, develop and implement essential and relevant documents and tools on specific nursing care topics:
- Patient management during the care pathway (admission evaluation, coordination of care, patient advocay, patient safety, health education and discharge planning)
- Holistic patient care and support (comunication, respiratory care, circulation and blood transfusion, nutrition and fluid balance, elimination, moving and positioning, patient confort and end-of-life care)
- Patient support during diagnostic process (diagnostic tests)
- Treatment and care (medication management, perioperative care, vascular access devices, wound care, specialized care and treatment including ICU, emergency, neonatal and pediatric, etc…)
- Monitor and evaluate quality of nursing care in the different projects and propose and follow up action plans for improvements, using defined and standard tools and strategies.
- Develop reccomandations and improvement plans for specific nursing care / nurse-led activities such as wound care (including burns) enteral feeding, decubitus prevention, palliative care, etc…
- Ensure the medical catalogue is up-to-date and appropriate based on the activities run in the field. Ensure compliance to correct, safe and efficient utilization of medical material and equipment.
2. Contribute to improved and efficient nursing care management and service organization (in collaboration with Hospital Management Unit Nursing Referent).
- Identify, create, develop and implement essential and relevant documents and tools on specific topics:
- Clinical supervision and managerial responsabilities (organization of care activities, continuity of care and pathways, patient documentation, M&E of quality and safety, handover process)
- HR and competencies management (workload and workforce needs, HR role, team meetings, CPD)
- Strategic management (vision and values, leadership, data and knowledge management, advocay)
- Resource management (pharmacy and supply, biomedical devices, supportive and ancillary services, budget).
3. Promote and support continuous nursing competencies development, working in strict collaboration with the relevant MSF stakeholders (Learning and Development unit, MSF Academy).
- Identify all relevant competencies and capacities to be followed up and developed
- Map training needs
- Contribute in defining training strategies and designing training activities
- Support projects in implementation of training activities.
- Participate to general or specific medical trainings
4. Field support responsabilities
- Provide ad hoc technical support to the field and referents upon request on patient care related questions, implementation of MSF and general nursing care reccomandations and use of medical devices.
- Support projects in defining strategical and operational nursing care related decisions during project/activity design and revision.
5. HR responsabilities
- Support the Pool Manager of nurses in validation of specific nursing care profiles and matching process, upon request.
- Direct strategic, operational and administrative management of the Nursing Care Mobile Implementation Officer (MIO).
6. Knowledge management responsabilities
- Assure effective management all nursing care related documents and information, using (or developing) different appropirate tools, strategies and institutional platforms (knowledge management platform, newsletter, webinars, community of practice, etc..)
7. Networking responsabilities
- Participate actively in the intersectional MSF working groups, platforms, initiatives or porjects
- Promote an external nework of nursing care experts
Required qualifications and experiences:
- Registered nurse
- A master in Nursing Science or Public Health
- Minimum 5 years of clinical activity and 2 in supervision or management roles (between primary and secondary healthcare level)
- Minimum 3 years field experience with MSF or a comparable organization
- Available to do field visits
- Good oral and written communication in English and French
- Any additional operational language
- Training skills
- Analytical skills (i.e. assessment - analysis - action plan)
- Ability to set priorities and organize his/her own work
- Ability to plan and organize in stressful environmental.
- Good teamwork and cooperation capacity / Excellent team player
- Experience in paediatrics/neonatology and/or ICU/ER wards
- Writing skills: protocols, rapports, peer-reviewed journals
- Communication skills
- Adherence to MSF principles and to our managerial values: Respect, Transparency, Integrity, Accountability, Trust, Empowerment
- Adherence to the MSF Behavioural Commitments
- Contract type: open-ended, full time
- Location: preferably Brussels office
- Salary Package: Hospital insurance (DKV) - Pension plan - 100% reimbursement for public transportation costs
- Starting date: December 2020
Deadline for applications: 25/11/2020
CV + cover letter to be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org mentioning “Nursing Care Referent” in the title.
Please name your application documents with your LAST NAME. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
The protection of your personal data is important to MSF. By submitting your application, you consent to MSF using your personal data. For more information, consult our privacy notice to job applicants.